Saturday 5 June 2021

Bidyut Prabha Gantayat enters the MahMight Motel!

 




waking up   

to birdsong

the motel 


Bidyut Prabha Gantayat



After a long drive by car I check into a roadside motel. The ambience is of a perfect desolate landscape, away from the hustle and bustle of the city. In my evening stroll I see a distant sunset, on a mountain, a deep backyard forest, and the waxing moon, amid sprouting stars. Oh, how I wish to have a sound sleep in my cosy bed tonight!


At around midnight a soloist tunes up from nowhere and wakes me up. Where is this from, I wondered and wondered. No ballroom music, no recital around, no birdsong. What is it? 


Pondering I slowly immerse into its lingering vibrato of a strange melody and take out my notebook.




My favourite haiku poet and his poem:




first rain

the paper boat carries

my childhood


Pravat Kumar Padhy 

Asahi Haikuist Network (Japan, 2013)





Why I like this poem:


Pravat Kumar Padhy has been writing haiku poetry and allied genres for more than a decade.


He gives a subtle gesture looking around nature, and typically picks up very common imagery to mould into a revealing three line poem by mood, and word by word. 


In this poem I see the outburst of his treasured nostalgia flawlessly transcending into the reader's mind.




The quotes 



From: Waiting for Godot 

"Tomorrow when I wake,or think I do , what shall I say of today?"



From: Withnail and I


Peter Marwood (" I ") :

"Even a stopped clock tells the right time twice a day"





8 comments:

  1. Simple and good one.
    Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Alan

      Alan Summers
      Founding Editor
      MahMight haiku journal

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yep, great poets and great nominations!

      Alan

      Alan Summers
      Founding Editor
      MahMight haiku journal

      Delete
  3. Feeling excited to find a place in MahMight and along side of big names of haiku fraternity .

    Heartfelt thanks to founding editor Mr Alan Summers for accepting my submission 🙏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have deserved to be in this journal, and your wonderful haiku is something many of us can relate to, and you made it extra special!

      warm regards,
      Alan

      Alan Summers
      Founding Editor
      MahMight haiku journal

      Delete
  4. Thank you, Bidyut Prabha, for your insightful comment about my haiku. MahMight is a unique haiku journal. Kudos to Alan for offering such a beautiful platform.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Pravat,

      Thank you for your comments! Very much appreciated.

      warm regards,
      Alan

      Delete

Lev Hart and Eric Amann

  Lev Hart said: “Please accept the following as my submission for the journal I might not like…” What’s not to like when something unexpect...