Saturday 5 June 2021

Lori A Minor makes strong choices which MahMight admires

 

















still-birthwort








Lori A Minor







Statement:


As someone who suffers from fertility issues, genuine fears of mine are things like miscarriage and phantom pregnancies. 


Birthwort is a plant formerly used to aid in childbirth, so to add "still" is just chilling and, I feel, amplifies my huge fears in such little space.











Favorite 'ku by another:







spring in america water unsafe food unsafe sex unsafe




— Marlene Mountain







Why:


"I honestly typed this one from memory. Marlene's use of kigo intertwined with political undertones is what drew me to study haiku deeper in the first place. This monoku in particular is pure genius because when we think "spring", we think renewal and cleanliness, but this poem pivots and throws us into the reality of a nasty, dirty, America that we created and just can't seem to fix."








Waiting for Godot quote:


Estragon: (with finality). Crritic!





Withnail and I quote:


Withnail: "I fail to see my family's of any interest to you. I've absolutely no interest in yours. I dislike relatives in general and in particular mine."




Lori A Minor

@loriminorhaiku

https://loriaminor.wixsite.com/poet

#FemkuMag, editor

Otoroshi Journal, co-editor








Alan notes:


Marlene Mountain

https://www.marlenemountain.org 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marlene_Mountain


then I must go to the Mountain: 

(space reserved) for Marlene Mountain

by Jack Galmitz

https://roadrunnerhaikublog.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/then-i-must-go-to-the-mountain.pdf







6 comments:

  1. Omg so brilliant! This is a an amazingly pivotal safe place you ve provided !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, and it's amazing how poets respond.

      Thank you!

      warmest regards,

      Alan

      Alan Summers
      Founding Editor
      MahMight haiku journal

      Delete
  2. Love this! Marlene drew me into haiku as well, and my first published one was a monoku inspired by her. My favorite of hers, which is the moment I realized the richness of what haiku brevity could contain, is:

    one fly everywhere the heat

    Great poem, Lori! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank your comment on the amazing poet Lori A Minor!

    And yes, Marlene Mountain was incredible and I love that one line haiku by her!

    Thank you for posting!

    warmest regards,

    Alan

    Alan Summers
    Founding Editor
    MahMight haiku journal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lori, stunning poem, in many ways. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Margaret,

    Thank you for posting!

    warmest regards,

    Alan

    Alan Summers
    Founding Editor
    MahMight haiku journal

    ReplyDelete

Lev Hart and Eric Amann

  Lev Hart said: “Please accept the following as my submission for the journal I might not like…” What’s not to like when something unexpect...