Tuesday 7 December 2021

Reid Hepworth and John Stevenson in the MahMight chill zone

 

 


yesterday’s wash
frozen on the line
her paper dolls

Reid Hepworth
 




Reid says:
   
“My mum was a repeat offender of leaving our laundry on the clothesline overnight. I have a distinct memory of having to “break” my frozen clothes in order to wear them to school one morning. This reminded me of the paper dolls I used to “play” with as a child.
 
How does one actually play with paper dolls?”
 



Reid’s Favourite Haiku by Another Poet:



applauding
the mime
in our mittens

John Stevenson





Reid says:
   
“John Stevenson is a new writer to me (having just “discovered” him yesterday). 
 
I read this poem before bed last night and it made me laugh. I like the synchronicity of the silent mime and the muffled applause. Clever.
 
John’s haiku are brilliant and deserve careful attention. 
 
This is just one (of many) that caught my eye.”
 


Reid's Favourite Quotes:

Waiting for Godot:
“There’s man for you, blaming on his boots, the fault of his feet.”

Withnail and I:
"I don’t advise a haircut, man. All hairdressers are in the employment of the government. 
  
Hair are your aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into your brain. This is the reason bald-headed men are uptight.”
 
 
 

NOTES:



Reid:
 



Reid Hepworth lives in a tiny cabin in the woods in Jordan River, BC, where she plays tiny ukulele and writes tiny poetry.
 
Reid says:
I’m strictly a uke player and play mostly classical, with a bit of jazz/blues thrown in for good measure. I dabbled with guitar, bass, and drums in my youth, but was pretty abysmal. For some reason (probably the scale) uke just works for me.

Jordan River: 


John Stevenson:


Caught! 
John Stevenson in deep shadow 
Venue: Roman Baths, City of Bath 
by Alan Summers


applauding
the mime
in our mittens

John Stevenson

First publication: 
Frogpond, 35.1, 2002 (Haiku Society of America)

The subsequent publications of this haiku:
pegging the wind: The Red Moon Anthology of English-Language Haiku 2002
Quiet Enough (Red Moon Press, 2004, 2008, 2016, 2018)
HAIKU: the Art of the Short Poem (Brooks Books 2008)
Kitsch Magazine - vol 8 no. 2 (Spring 2010)
My Red | The Selected Haiku of John Stevenson (Brooks Books 2021)
 

HAIKU: the Art of the Short Poem
A film haiku anthology edited by Tazuo Yamaguchi & Randy Brooks
paperback & DVD (Brooks Books 2008)
https://www.brooksbookshaiku.com/haikufilm/index.html

Kitsch Magazine - vol 8 no. 2 (Spring 2010)
editor-in-chief Rachel Louise Ensign 
managing editor Allison Fischler 
https://issuu.com/kitschmag/docs/kitsch_-_spring_10
 

pegging the wind: 


Quiet Enough (Red Moon Press, 2004, 2008, 2016, 2018)
Award: Haiku Society of America Merit Book Award, First Prize

Judges: Dean Summers and Ruth Yarrow
“When you open the handsome cover with an O’Keeffe painting of a pelvis, you find more than five dozen haiku, interspersed with a dozen tanka and haibun, as spare and strong as bones. Echoing the title, they cohere with a quiet poignancy that resonates on many levels.”
https://www.hsa-haiku.org/meritbookawards/meritbookawards2005.htm
   
p.s. Dean is no relation to me (Alan Summers)!
 



My Red
The Selected Haiku of John Stevenson 
(Brooks Books 2021)
"
applauding" page 84



This video reading of haiku by John Stevenson 
by Logan Rando Productions:

 




John, Karen, and Alan
Roman Baths
City of Bath U.K.

And yes, I have very long arms!

Second great day with John, Tate Modern (London, UK)
John (centre)
Karen Hoy on the right.
photo©Alan Summers

THE EY EXHIBITION PICASSO 1932 – LOVE, FAME, TRAGEDY









1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the poems and commentary. Awesome work. Congratulations to the poets and to Alan.

    ReplyDelete

Lev Hart and Eric Amann

  Lev Hart said: “Please accept the following as my submission for the journal I might not like…” What’s not to like when something unexpect...