Wednesday 2 June 2021

Lorraine Pester is in the Mahmight Zone




refugee 
on the agave cat’s claw 
anna’s hummingbird 

Lorraine Pester 




Lorraine says:

this can be read as a simple observation of nature. or as ekphrastic. every word is replete with meaning, that invites the weaving of images at whose heart is the agave thorn, on the pivot. it invites rereading in different ways. the sussing reader becomes poet. 



anna’s hummingbird:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Annas_Hummingbird/overview


agave cat’s claw

https://www.ethnoherbalist.com/southern-california-native-plants-medicinal/cats-claw/ 







Lorraine’s favorite haiku:







tundra 






Cor Van den Heuvel 




Lorraine says:

i’d say it’s a poem that comes to the page 10 months pregnant and gets the reader to participate in the birthing process:::


the white page evokes snow, ice, cloudy skies. 


the black letters bring to mind animal tracks in said winter scene. asks are they the predator or the prey? leaving or returning to the den? traveling left to right or right to left?


and then: the word! tundra. centered in the white space. makes me think about the very meaning of the word itself. makes me find out more about tundra as an ecosystem. makes me think forward into the seasons of the tundra. makes me think about the explorers of the Arctic. makes me think. . .


safe to say i love this haiku. 




tundra: 

https://www.americanhaikuarchives.org/curators/CorVanDenHeuvel-tundra.html 



quote from Waiting for Godot:


vladimir:

“Astride of a grave and a difficult birth. Down in the hole, lingeringly, the grave-digger puts on the forceps. We have time to grow old. The air is full of our cries. (He listens.) But habit is a great deadener.”





quote from Withnail and I:


You know what we should do?

I say, you know

what we should do?

How can I possibly know

what we should do?

- What should we do?

- Get out of it for a while.

Get into the countryside,

rejuvenate.

Rejuvenate? I'm in a park,

and I'm practically dead.

What good's the countryside?






No comments:

Post a Comment

Lev Hart and Eric Amann

  Lev Hart said: “Please accept the following as my submission for the journal I might not like…” What’s not to like when something unexpect...