Monday 21 June 2021

Margaret is still by the river while Pris Campbell is sharing leftovers















I still beside the river




Margaret Walker








Margaret says:


“This piece is one that simply came fully formed into my mind.”


“I did debate briefly about the use of the word "still" - might it also be an adverb? Yes. An adjective? I don't know.”


“There are several “cuts” in this monoku. Each adds to the richness of the poem.”


“Water, always my refuge. The ocean, rivers of black water overhung with cypress and Spanish moss, salt water marsh, rushing mountain streams, or trickling brooks. My body settles into itself. My thoughts wander without direction.  Peace.”



Alan note ONE:

“We use still to show that something continues up to a time in the past, present or future. It goes in front of the main verb…”

British Council  “still-and-no-longer…”


Still is an adverb and an adjective.

Cambridge Dictionary


Alan says:

"I see the intriguing act of putting “am” into the invisible country (of negative space)..."









A Favorite Haiku








family gathering old stories shared with the leftovers



Pris Campbell 








Margaret says:

The art of oral storytelling. Tales passed from generation to generation preserving family memories. The glue of our togetherness.  


“…Memories of how things used to be…” 

(from “Waiting For the Story to Begin” and Judson Hair: Six String Poet)


“My choice of Pris' monoku was not because she is my friend but because it is a true favorite.  She doesn't write a lot of monoku but this is one that has stuck with me because of the sheer familiarity of the scene and the host of memories it evokes.”





“Waiting for Godot”

“I realized as I started reading "Waiting for Godot" that I had previously read it only in French. My French was once ok but I literally lost a lot in translation.”


Vladimir

“Let us do something, while we have the chance…at this place, at this moment of time, all mankind is us, whether we like it or not. Let us make the most of it before it is too late.”





“Withnail and I”


“I”

“I’ve got a crick in my mouth from grinning.”






Alan note TOO:


Judson Hair: Six String Poet


The Merced River cascades out of the Sierra Nevada Mountains and rushes quickly down into the Yosemite Valley where its icy waters flow swiftly through spectacular granite peaks magnificent forests. A great deal of rapid settlement took place here following the California Gold Rush in 1849. Fortunes were made and  lost along the way. And lives were affected ways both good and bad. This song tells the story of one troubled young girl who has lost hope and sees the river as her salvation ... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WKj3zoHBpo



and


Before I Feel the Rain ... 

words and music by Judson Hair 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cJ-BZe445s








family gathering old stories shared with the leftovers


Pris Campbell 

“on down the road” 

Haiku Society of America Anthology 2017 

ed. LeRoy Gorman

https://www.hsa-haiku.org/member-anthol.htm 






2 comments:

  1. Alan, thank you for including me in this fun and amazing new journal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      warm regards,
      Alan

      Alan Summers
      Founding Editor
      MahMight haiku journal
      https://mahmighthaikujournal.blogspot.com

      Delete

Lev Hart and Eric Amann

  Lev Hart said: “Please accept the following as my submission for the journal I might not like…” What’s not to like when something unexpect...